During a family court case, the Judge will issue orders for family law matters such as child custody, alimony, child support, and visitation. After the divorce process is over, one of the parties may experience a change in circumstance that affects their ability to comply with their divorce orders. Failure to comply with a court order can result in harsh penalties, so be sure to speak with an experienced divorce lawyer right away.

When Can I Have A Divorce Order Modified?

In order to have a divorce order modified, you must prove to the Oklahoma City family court that you have experienced a “change in circumstance”. For example, perhaps you have been granted custody of your child and need to relocate but the other parent has visitation rights. You could have the visitation order modified if you can convince the court that your change in circumstance requires it.  You can also have your child support modified if you have lost your job or any form of income, making it impossible for you to afford the support payments that your support order requires.  Child Custody can also be modified with a change of circumstances and if the Court determines it is in the child’s best interests.

Sansone Howell can help if you can’t meet the requirements of a divorce order due to changes in your income, location, or any other part of your life. Contact one of our Oklahoma City modification lawyers right away before you are behind on support payments.  We can help you obtain a modification of your divorce order so that you can move on with your life.