What happens when same-sex parents break up?

Many same-sex divorces face unique issues in terms of claiming rights of child custody when they end their relationships. If you and your partner both adopted a child and are therefore both legal parents of the child, an Oklahoma LGBT divorce lawyer can help you to establish a formal parenting plan as we would in any other child custody case. If, however, the child is the natural-born son or daughter of either partner, and the other partner did not legally adopt the child, the matter becomes more complicated.

In such a case, it is necessary to bring a suit to court with evidence that you have had “actual care, control, and possession” of the child.  Furthermore, you must be able to demonstrate that the other party is incompetent to be the parent of the child. To learn more about this type of case, contact Sansone Howell now for an initial consultation.